Top Five Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are devastating regardless of what causes them. Unfortunately, some activities are much more dangerous than others and more likely to cause spinal damage. Knowing which types of accidents have a greater chance of causing a spinal cord injury might protect you from risky activities.
What Are the Top Five Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
The top five causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle collisions – Car crashes represent the most frequent cause of spinal cord injuries for individuals under the age of 65. Traffic crashes that involve significant force, such as truck accidents, and crashes where the injured victim is unprotected from the collision, such as motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, have the highest risk of spinal cord injuries.
- Falls – Falls, including slip and falls, trip and falls, and falls from heights, cause the greatest number of spinal cord injuries for victims 65 and older.
- Gunshot wounds – Gunshots also frequently cause spinal cord injuries when a bullet impacts the spinal cord and surrounding tissues. Some bullets are designed to cause maximum damage to surrounding tissues when they enter and pass through the body. Even if a bullet does not directly impact the spinal column, the force of the bullet can cause permanent damage.
- Sports/recreational accidents – Accidents that occur during high-impact sports and recreational activities frequently lead to spinal cord injuries, especially for males. Activities that involve physical contact or risk of falls, like contact sports, alpine sports, rock climbing, biking, and horseback riding, all pose a serious risk of spinal injuries.
- Medical malpractice – Negligent medical care can also cause spinal cord injury, especially medical malpractice such as surgical errors where a surgeon negligently damages the spinal column, spinal cord, or nerve tissue.
The Impact a Spinal Cord Injury Could Have on Your Life
Once a spinal cord injury has been stabilized, victims can be left with permanent disability and secondary health issues. One of the most serious potential effects of a spinal cord injury is paralysis. Depending on where on the spinal column an injury occurs, a person might suffer paraplegia, meaning paralysis of the lower half of the body. Higher injuries can cause quadriplegia or tetraplegia, meaning paralysis of both the upper and lower torso.
If you suffer paralysis due to a spinal cord injury, you will likely need rehabilitation to rebuild strength and motor function where possible, maintain existing strength and function, and learn adaptive techniques to help with daily living.
Further medical care might focus on preventing and treating complications of your injury and paralysis, including muscle deconditions, pressure ulcers, blood clots and other cardiovascular issues, bowel and bladder issues, and respiratory infections.
Compensation for a Spinal Cord Injury Claim
If you suffered a spinal cord injury caused by someone else’s legal fault, you might be entitled to recover money for:
- Medical treatments, including hospital stays, surgeries, and medications
- Rehabilitative care
- Long-term care, including home health services or long-term care facilities
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Lost quality of life due to disabilities interfering with daily living and enjoying activities
- Pain and suffering
How The Johnson Injury Firm Could Help
A Richmond spinal cord injury lawyer with The Johnson Injury Firm can help you pursue a full legal, financial, physical, and emotional recovery from your spinal cord injury by:
- Investigating the incident that caused your spinal cord injury to determine what party or parties can be held legally responsible for your injury
- Taking the time to understand your needs so that we pursue a legal strategy aimed at the results you want
- Collaborating with your treating providers and medical experts to determine the full extent of care you will need in the future
- Filing your claims for compensation accurately and in a timely fashion
- Pursuing maximum compensation on your behalf from those responsible for your injuries and their insurance companies
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident that wasn’t your fault, call or contact The Johnson Injury Firm today for a no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation. Speak with a knowledgeable Richmond personal injury attorney today about your right to demand fair compensation.