Store owners are supposed to keep their businesses safe for guests and customers — but sometimes they don’t provide the ordinary care that they should. And when they allow dangerous conditions like wet, icy, or uneven floors to happen on their property, they can be held legally accountable for the accidents they cause.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident at a store, get the support of a knowledgeable attorney today. Contact The Johnson Injury Firm today for your free consultation with a Virginia slip-and-fall accident lawyer.
What You Should Do if You Are Injured in a Slip and Fall at a Store
If you’ve been hurt in a fall that took place at a commercial property, the following steps can help you secure the financial compensation you deserve:
- Take photographs and videos of where the accident happened. Modern smartphones can capture high-resolution photos and videos of accident scenes, which can clearly document hazards such as uneven floors or puddles. If you can, also take photos and videos of the surroundings. Details such as the lighting in the area and warning signs can make an important difference in a case.
- Report the accident to store managers. As soon as you can, notify those in charge of the store about the accident. Describe simple facts of the incident as simply as possible, and avoid providing a recorded statement or more information than is strictly necessary. If you need to bring a lawsuit later, store owners could use your statements against you.
- Gather any contact information for witnesses to the accident. Witnesses can be an important source of evidence in a slip-and-fall case, but they may leave the scene of an accident soon after it happens. Write down their contact details so investigators can reach them later.
- Write down your account of the accident. After an accident, victims may have powerful memories of what happened and how an accident unfolded — memories that may fade or distort over time. A first-hand account that was written soon after the accident could be significant evidence for your attorney and your slip and fall claim.
- Hold on to any clothing or footwear you were wearing at the time of the accident. In a slip-and-fall case, there may be questions about how your footwear and your clothing played a role in the accident. Preserve this important evidence by keeping your shoes and your clothes as they were at the time of the accident and putting them in a safe location.
- Follow through on your medical treatment and keep records of your injuries. Slip-and-fall accidents can result in painful injuries like fractures, head wounds, and severe cuts. Get the care you need, follow your doctor’s instructions, and hold on to communications or medical records that detail your injuries.
- Contact a slip-and-fall attorney. Slip-and-fall cases can be complex, confusing, and stressful for the layperson. But an experienced slip-and-fall attorney can answer your questions, evaluate your case, and build a claim for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Hundley & Johnson for Help
After a slip-and-fall accident, store owners or managers might choose to fight your claim or try to blame you for your injuries. But the compassionate Richmond slip-and-fall attorneys at The Johnson Injury Firm are ready to stand up for your rights and to fight for the compensation you deserve. We’ve helped people all over Virginia get the money they deserve, and look forward to putting this experience to work for you.
Contact us now for a free initial consultation and evaluation of your case.